ABOUT THE COMPANY
Brainshark was founded in 1999 with one vision: to transform the way business people create and share content. From this vision, the Brainshark platform was born – enabling the average business person with only basic tools, like PowerPoint and the phone, to create high-impact video presentations that help lower costs and drive business value. Before the ideas of user-generated content, software-as-a-service and online video became standard practice, Brainshark was already pioneering these concepts to enhance business communications. Today, Brainshark helps thousands of companies around the world improve productivity with cloud-based business presentation solutions for sales, marketing and training.
We’re delivering cloud based solutions to the Fortune 1000. Because of the high-profile nature of our customers and the increasing focus on security, our customers and prospects are demanding the highest level of security standards in Brainshark’s products. That’s where you come in…
Brainshark is working on some exciting projects leveraging some next generation technologies including Mixed Reality (Microsoft HoloLens), Machine Learning, Azure and next generation technologies like Angular 4 using TypeScript. We’re looking for someone who is psyched to get practical access to these technologies and drive innovation at Brainshark.
Brainshark is looking to recruit a highly motivated and hands on technical Engineering Manager with responsibility for one or more Scrum Teams developing features and functionality for Brainshark’s SaaS platform. This is a new role created to help better manage Brainshark’s expanding pool of Engineering talent both in Boston and in South America. Your development team(s) will be working on a variety of projects as well as maintenance tasks. We are a predominantly Microsoft shop and the technologies Brainshark uses tend toward the Microsoft stack and include C#, Angular, TypeScript, SQL Server and Azure.
The role reports directly to the VP of Engineering and works collaboratively with two other Engineering Managers, a Manager of DevOps and a Manager of Security. The scope of responsibility for this role includes all areas of Brainshark’s award winning Sales Training and Coaching platform. This is a global 24x7 SaaS platform running mainly in Azure and is used by over half the Fortune 500.
WHO ARE YOU?
- You are passionate about innovation and want to step into a company that is undergoing a technology revolution.
- You are or recently were a Developer of software leveraging Microsoft technologies.
- You are still very much hands on and either write code or review others’ code.
- You are strongly technical and lead others through example and are able to mentor more junior team members.
- You are passionate about delivering world class SaaS products to some of the world’s most recognizable brands.
- You have a strong understanding of how software is built, packaged and deployed.
- You figure things out very quickly. Without much hand holding, you master new technologies and applications quickly.
- You think like an architect and can quickly grasp the relationships among different server roles in a multi-tier application architecture.
- You are passionate about Cloud platforms and are psyched to work with new technologies like Containers and advanced PaaS services.
- You understand Customer Service and can be responsive to customer reported issues.
- Hire and on-board Software Engineers both in Boston and through our near shoring partners in Colombia and Peru.
- Mentor and inspire members of your team.
- Work directly with Product Managers to ensure that stories are clear, well written and appropriately sized before beginning work.
- Effectively manage competing priorities and demands on your teams’ time by negotiating and setting realistic expectations on when projects and milestones can be achieved.
- Ensure that teams have a balanced workload that includes a mix of Product, Platform, Escalation, Bug and Security work in proportion to goals set by Engineering Management and the Business.
- Actively participate in Agile ceremonies and ensure committed work is completed on time.
- Look for training opportunities for your team and actively encourage them to evolve their skills and knowledge.
- Work closely with our DevOps team to ensure that software is delivered in a way that is Supportable, Configurable, Deployable, Scalable and Secure.
- Participate in Architecture and Design meetings to ensure that new features and functionalities are delivered according to Brainshark specifications and industry best practices.
- Look outward to the industry and gain knowledge and inspiration from what others are doing and help bring ideas back into Brainshark Engineering.
- Take an active role in the Operational integrity of the Brainshark platform by ensuring that code that is delivered to Production meets quality standards and is easy to troubleshoot.
- Work directly with Operations and Support teams to triage and troubleshoot customer reported issues to resolution.
- Manage and participate in an on-call schedule to ensure 24x7 coverage for Production issues.
- Deliver data, statistics and KPIs to track the performance of your team.
- Bachelors in Computer Science, or related engineering field
- Proven experience with C#, SQL, and Web Services (RESTful is a plus)
- Strong experience with code review processes
- Proficient with JIRA, JIRA Agile, Confluence, and other agile team productivity tools
- Experience working in Agile/Scrum teams
- Able to work comfortably with technical staff as well as business and non-technical individuals
- Desire to mentor, teach and lead teams
- Ability to take ownership and lead medium to large scale projects
- Great attitude with a sense of humor
- Strong command of written and spoken English
- Ability to work in the US without visa sponsorship
- Expert with Windows Server operating systems and .Net applications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects and products at the same time, develop work estimates, and coordinate schedules with your colleagues while prioritizing and working to deadlines
- Experience deploying Microsoft .Net or Java applications to web application servers
- Experience with Microsoft IIS or Java Application Servers such as JBoss or WebLogic
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server or Oracle
- Experience with log consolidation and analysis tools
- Ability to write simple ad hoc SQL queries to help troubleshoot and diagnose issues
- Experience with systems monitoring and alerting
- Experience with Octopus Deploy, Jenkins, Git, TeamCity a strong plus
- Microsoft or other industry certification a plus
- Ability/interest to travel to South America infrequently.